Wednesday 7 August 2013

Friendly Pro-Friends

I am openly gay. My partner and I are openly gay. Being gay or gayness itself has always been a sensitive issue. Living in a Catholic country like the Philippines has its ups and downs for the LGBT community. It’s fun to be liked for our humor and skills (mostly beauty-related). We like to joke around with family and friends. But it’s a bit disheartening when it comes to religion. We’re Catholics, too, but it’s saddening that we’re not really accepted in the religion. There’s this silent air of awkwardness and distaste when the issue of being gay is brought up during mass, religious talks, and so on.

What I don’t get is that we’re supposed to be brothers and sisters in Christ yet we’re marginalized due to our sexual orientation. Are we blamed for our choice? Are we blamed for our nature? Just like having one’s own opinion, gender preference is the same. I tell people that as much as I want to be “normal”; to be straight, I just can’t because it’s not in my nature. I hope people will learn to accept this.

I am happy that a few of my straight Catholic friends have accepted us. It really feels good to be accepted. If it’s a sin to be homosexual then have we forgotten that it’s also a sin to be envious; to be a glutton; to have too much pride; to be a heretic, or to be wrathful? We’re all the same. We’re all sinners. But we’re all made by one God, too, who I know love us all deeply despite our shortcomings for (as we all very much proclaim) He is love.

So after my drama on being gay, here is my take on a certain company that’s very kind and accepting to us gays. As you may all know (if you’re following my blog), we’re paying for our future home soon. It is being built by Property Company of Friends, Inc. or PROFRIENDS. Apart from their professional demeanor and clear communication/explanation regarding financial matters, PROFRIENDS is really friendly to us gays. So far, the people we’ve met were kind and had no eerie-feel towards us.
We did not directly say or tell them that we were gay. But telling them that we will live together (Sam and I) would definitely give them a direct signal that we were both gay. I think the way we speak, act, and dress already speak for itself! lol But kidding aside, they were and still are really nice to us. I feel comfortable communication/dealing with them (I hope they do, too, towards us).

So to our fellow LGBT community members, join na kayo! Invest your hard-earned money through a home instead of a condo or apartment unit. Think ahead; think of the future! J I think it would be awesome to have fellow LGBT people as neighbors (Not that we don’t like straight friends). Think about it… It would literally be a community for us gay people.







No comments:

Post a Comment